The Queensland Government formally announced a $6.3m capital injection to the Cairns Convention Centre as part of major projects for the region.
Government Services and Building Industry Minister Simon Finn and Member for Cairns Desley Boyle said the $6.3 million makeover would deliver major improvements to the award winning convention centre. “The Cairns Convention Centre is a world class facility with a proven track record of attracting major conferences to Far North Queensland” Mr Finn said.
“The Centre has a great international reputation, but we need to keep investing in its future.” “This $6.3 million upgrade will deliver a major kitchen upgrade as well as upgrades to the Centre’s lighting, electrical and fire systems” said Ms Boyle.
Other key elements of the upgrade include:
• New audio-visual & communication equipment to improve infrastructure for sophisticated presentations
• Upgrade wifi to the latest standards
• Upgrade of Hall 2 audio and digital signage
• Upgrade of emergency and fire systems
• Extension and upgrade of the Outdoor Plaza
• General soft refurbishment of Hall 2 including paintings and carpet
• Upgrade of kitchen equipment
• Additional environmental sustainable development features
Cairns Convention Centre General Manager Ross Steele said the funding will ensure the Centre maintains its competitiveness nationally and internationally as a market leader, enabling the Centre to continue to fulfil its potential as a world class convention facility that contributes around $80m annually to the Cairns economy.