Business Events Sydney (BESydney) has capped off a winning 2012 walking away with top honours for Specialised Tourism Services and the silver prize for Business Tourism at last night’s NSW Tourism Awards 2012.
Hosted at Le Montage by the Tourism Industry Council NSW, the awards recognise organisations that have achieved outstanding success and furthered the development of the NSW tourism industry. The judges commended BESydney’s highly effective role in bringing large economic benefits to Sydney and NSW.
Lyn Lewis-Smith, CEO of BESydney comments, “BESydney is thrilled with the results of last night’s awards ceremony. Business events that our team secures for New South Wales (NSW) play a vital role in stimulating and driving demand for our State’s vibrant tourism industry. We work closely with a vast array of government and private sector stakeholders to achieve the results we do. These awards are a great acknowledgment of the valuable contribution this collaboration makes in ensuring that NSW continues to be the business travel capital of Australia.
“I also congratulate BESydney’s Strategic Partners and Members who were honoured at last night’s awards. They represent the true wealth of talent, expertise and innovation in Sydney and NSW.”
Minister for Tourism and Major Events, George Souris, acknowledged the industry’s continued efforts to innovate, along with the depth of product on offer in this state.
“The NSW Tourism Awards is an important opportunity to recognise the achievements of the industry and those who strive for the shared common goal of ensuring NSW is the number one visitor destination in Australia.”
In addition to last night’s award win, 2012 has proved to be a very successful year overall for BESydney. In June, BESydney celebrated securing an outstanding 103 business events, worth $225.6 million for the 2011/12 financial year. Further, BESydney’s efforts have seen the bureau collect an array of industry awards and acclaims.
“The awards we have won this year recognise the different strengths of our organisation and our forward thinking. From our contribution to the tourism industry and our commitment to raising awareness of the many legacies – beyond tourism dollars – brought by business events, to the introduction of Mandarin-speaking staff across all areas of the organisation and the Future Leaders we are nurturing, our future-focus is clear in everything we do ” comments Ms. Lewis-Smith.
“We pride ourselves on challenging the status quo and thinking differently. This is reinforced by our success at Prevue’s inaugural Visionary Awards earlier in the year,” adds Ms Lewis-Smith
Accolades awarded to BESydney during 2012 include:
- 2012 Meetings and Events Australia Industry Award for Metropolitan Destination Marketing Organisation of the Year
- Business Development Manager of the Year Award to Sinead Yeo, Regional Manager Asia, from the NSW State Division of the Meetings and Events Australia Industry Awards
- Outstanding Contribution Award to Ian Stuart, Senior Consultant, at the 2012 Meetings and Events Australia Industry Awards
- Scholarship to attend the ICCA Youth Forum at EIBTM to BESydney’s Sales Research Executive, Christina Barton, following a competitive global application process
- Prevue’s inaugural Destination Visionary Award, which celebrates vision and innovation in the global meeting and incentive industry.