At its AGM, held this week at Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre, EEAA reconfirmed its commitment to providing compelling industry research that will support its marketing and lobbying efforts.
Outgoing Vice-President Peter King – deputising for Matthew Pearce who was prevented from flying in from Melbourne due to the volcanic ash cloud – presented the President’s report and emphasised that research studies would be top of the EEAA agenda.
“Research remains an important issue for us. Without the necessary facts and figures about our industry and the contribution it makes to the overall economy, our lobbying efforts will remain unsubstantiated or relying on old data.
“During 2010 we developed a more rigorous lobbying process and we have made good progress in developing communication, and gaining recognition of the exhibition sector with government – especially with regards to increased venue space both in Sydney and Melbourne.”
King said that 2010 has been a year of consolidation and regrouping for the exhibition industry after the difficult trading conditions of 2009 and 2008, caused by the global economic slowdown.
“There was some shakeout in the exhibition sector with a few shows not surviving, but new shows launched in response not only to these changing conditions but also as a result of new sectors opening up. Overall our industry remained solid and 2010 began to see some signs of buoyancy returning,” he said.
King formally introduced Joyce DiMascio, EEAA’s newly appointed General Manager, who had her first opportunity to meet and network with many EEAA members after the formal AGM proceedings.
He also announced the new Board of Directors:
- Matthew Pearce, Managing Director, Diversified Exhibitions (President)
- Jodie Richmond, General Manager & CEO, Exhibitions & Trade Fairs (Vice President)
- Domenic Genua, Marketing & Events Manager, Boating Industry Association of NSW
- Debbie Evans, Managing Director, Reed Exhibitions
- Robert (Bob) Moore, Managing Director, Agility Fairs and Logistics
- Jo-Anne Kelleway, CEO, Info Salons Group
- Sarah Hawthorn, Managing Director, Avviso Public Relations
- Tim Morgan, Managing Director, Morgan Expo Hire
- Peter King, Chief Executive, Sydney Showground
- Chris Connelly, Director of Operations, Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre (Secretary)
- Robert O’Keeffe, General Manager, Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre (Treasurer)
- Helen Mantellato, Director of Sales – Exhibitions and Special Events, Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre