Enable2010 is an exciting new initiative that will showcase Brisbane, Australia’s new world city, as a centre of world-class innovation with a range of events planned from July 19 to 28, 2010.
Culminating with the launch of the Brisbane Innovation Scorecard by Lord Mayor Campbell Newman on Wednesday 28 July, Enable2010 will celebrate excellence in innovation and challenge industry, education and government to position Brisbane as the epicentre of commercially driven innovation.
Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said he was dedicated to making Brisbane an innovative, liveable, new world city.
“Brisbane is currently experiencing phenomenal growth that is forecast to continue outstripping other major Australian centers for the next 20 years, “he said.
“To remain competitive and achieve our vision of becoming a world-class, easy living city, we must embrace continuous learning and remain at the forefront of innovation.”
“I encourage everyone to join in Enable2010 and support Brisbane’s pursuit for world-class knowledge and innovation.”
Brisbane Marketing CEO John Aitken said Brisbane’s reputation as a progressive and globally competitive destination has steadily developed and there is growing recognition in the Brisbane business environment that a spirit of collaboration, open innovation, knowledge sharing and a global outlook are critical to business success.
“As the city’s economic development agency, Brisbane Marketing seeks to foster a culture of innovation within the Brisbane business community and to highlight the essential role of innovation as a key driver of sustainable growth, productivity and the region’s economic prosperity.”
“This partnership is essential in keeping Brisbane a prosperous and entrepreneurial city that remains globally focused and continues to attract leading national and international companies to locate, innovate, create and export,” Mr Aitken said.
Enable2010 culminates with the launch of the Brisbane Innovation Scorecard, a new initiative which will measure Brisbane’s innovation footprint and recognise companies, businesses and individuals committed to excellence in innovation.
The results of a survey, the first of its kind in Australia, will demonstrate Brisbane’s achievements in innovation and promote the city as world-class enabler of innovation.
Other key Enable2010 events include:
- Eco Innovations: Sustaining Industry and the Environment: A fascinating panel discussion looking at eco innovations and sustainability – Monday 19 July, noon to 2.00pm.
- National Broadband Network, Beyond Installation: A timely discussion with the announcement of Australia’s National Broadband Network, looking at the possible futures created through an ubiquitous broadband infrastructure – Thursday July 22, 3.00pm to 5.00pm.
- Future Energy – Future Solutions: As the country moves to a lower carbon economy, leadership in the energy sector is perhaps more important than in any other industry – Friday July 23, noon to 2.00pm.
- QUT Dean’s Breakfast: A breakfast not to be missed, discussing the role of higher education in nurturing and championing the innovators of the future – Tuesday July 27, time to be confirmed.
- Lord Mayor’s Leaders of Innovation and release of Brisbane Innovation Scorecard: The launch of the inaugural Brisbane Innovation Scorecard and recognising those companies, businesses and individuals committed to excellence in innovation – Wednesday 28 July, noon to 2.00pm.
- Brisbane Innovators’ Showcases: A rare opportunity to look behind the scenes of a number of Brisbane’s successful exporters and innovators – various dates and times to be confirmed.
Visit www.enablebrisbane.com.au for full details of these and other Enable2010 events.