Under wide blue skies and warm tropical weather conditions, Darwin was showcased as a leading Australian business events destination to influential event planners as part of the recent ‘MEET DARWIN’ familiarisation program.
Over four action-packed days, the Darwin Convention Centre together with the Northern Territory Convention Bureau hosted key delegates representing mining, medical science, retail, travel, finance and health sectors to an array of uniquely Darwin experiences and world class hospitality at the Darwin Convention Centre.
Program highlights included:
- A welcome function at the Elan Skyline Penthouse to soak in the stunning views of Darwin
- Visits to top Darwin attractions including Crocosaurus Cove, the famous Mindil Beach Sunset Markets, Darwin Military Museum and Art Gallery and Museum of the Northern Territory
- An informative business session featuring NT Business Events Ambassadors, Mr Luke Bowen, General Manager of Northern Australia Development Officer and Ms Vicki O’Halloran AM, CEO of Somerville Community Health as well as Bronte Martin, Director of Nursing, Trauma and Disaster, National Critical Care Trauma Response speaking about doing business in the Territory
- A meet and greet luncheon with the local tourism, retail and hospitality industry in Darwin that are able to support conference organisers
- Site inspections of popular hotel accommodation
- A unique VIP in-store experience at the Paspaley and di CROCO Boutiques
- An exclusive Indigenous themed VIP signature dining experience at the Darwin Convention Centre, showcasing Northern Territory produce and contemporary dance by the Gary Lang NT Dance Company
- An evening under the stars at the Darwin Symphony Orchestra Opera Gala on the lawns of the Darwin Waterfront
- A Darwin harbour cruise on-board the ‘Charles Darwin’ including a clap-stick workshop with the Larrakia people.
“Our delegates represented national and Australasian associations and organisations that hold annual conferences and are considering Darwin as a destination in the coming years. Through showcasing Darwin and the capabilities of the world class Darwin Convention Centre, we hope to encourage these event planners to stage their next major conference in Darwin,” said Janet Hamilton, General Manager of the Darwin Convention Centre.
“With close proximity to Asian, a warm and friendly culture, year-round tropical climate and fast growing economy, Darwin is an ideal business events destination for Australian and Asian delegates. We aim to attract associations that are looking for a relaxed atmosphere and first class facilities to meet and plan their future strategies.” said Ms Hamilton.