Tourism Tasmania’s CEO, John Fitzgerald today announced the appointment of Tasmanian brand and marketing specialist Guy Taylor as new Executive Director of Marketing.
Mr Fitzgerald said that it had taken an extensive search to secure the right person for the role, and Mr Taylor’s experience in the marketing communications area, coupled with his track record in working with a number of Australian brands was outstanding.
“With over 20 years of experience in the area of marketing communications and organisational strategy, Mr Taylor has contributed to the achievements of some of Australia’s most successful brands, including Tasmanian icons like Blundstone footwear, James Boags Premium beer and RACT.
Mr Fitzgerald said that the position of Executive Director of Marketing is a vital leadership role in Tourism Tasmania.
“The role takes on even greater significance since Tourism Tasmania became a stand-alone State Authority on 1 July to focus on marketing Tasmania as a holiday destination and help achieve the State Government’s target of attracting 1.5 million visitors per annum by 2020.
“Although a record number of visitors are currently coming to the state from interstate and overseas, our market research suggests that there is further potential for growth, so the position of Executive Director of Marketing will be particularly vital,” he said.
Mr Fitzgerald said that in his former role as a brand consultant, Guy had worked closely with the local tourism industry and Tourism Tasmania representatives to facilitate the development of our new tourism brand, which was translated into the highly effective and successful Go Behind the Scenery advertising campaign.
“It’s good to have him again working with our marketing team as we continue to focus on promoting the new tourism brand, by highlighting what’s good and different about Tasmania, and looking for ways to cut through the usual destination marketing clutter to strengthen our appeal as a travel destination, drive demand for Tasmanian holidays and attract more visitors to our state.”
Mr Taylor said that it was a great privilege to have the opportunity to build on the industry’s significant recent achievements.
“We have come a long way in the last ten years. Tasmania has demonstrated such charisma as to now be, undeniably, the coolest go-to destination in Australia. How could you not be excited to be part of that?,” he said.
In announcing the new appointment, Mr Fitzgerald also acknowledged the fantastic work undertaken by Tourism Tasmania’s marketing staff over the past 5 months while recruiting was underway.
“I want to acknowledge the commitment and passion of our existing market team, who have worked tirelessly over the past 5 months to successfully deliver on our marketing plans and maintain our full schedule of activities while we were filling the vacancy.”
Guy Taylor will begin work at Tourism Tasmania as Executive Director of Marketing on 11 August.
Some of his career highlights include;
- He has led brand engagements for a range of clients including The Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust (Sydney), Direct Edge (NW Tasmania, AMCOR, Metro Buses, CSIRO, Tourism Tasmania, Rock Property, RACT and James Boag Premium.
- He is the co-creator of the “Who is James Boag?” campaign
- He is an Associate at the Australian Innovation Research Centre, UTAS School of Business.
- He is the recipient of the national 2013 Australian Marketing Institute award for Cultural-Marketing Effectiveness.
- Guy was the first brand marketing specialist to present to Australia’s peak scientific body CSIRO
- Guy managed the international marketing for local footwear icon Blundstone, and help take the brand to the forefront of the global work wear movement. In this role, he was responsible for global PR, marketing, advertising, media buying, trade shows.
- He jointly developed, owned and operated local agency G3, which developed a reputation as one of the most creatively successful advertising agencies in Tasmania