Queensland will host than 124 major and regional events scheduled in 2013 with the purpose of attracting visitors and supporting tourism in communities throughout the state.
Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ), a new entity established in December 2012, combines the resources and expertise of Tourism Queensland and Events Queensland.
Tourism and events are intrinsically linked and TEQ is focused on better leveraging activities to grow visitor expenditure.
In the past financial year, more than 1.1 million people attended the state’s major events generating more than 1 million visitor nights for Queensland.
The 2013 calendar of events will help build on the profile of Queensland destinations globally. Event calendar highlights include:
- 2013 Gold Coast Sevens tournament
- Bolshoi Ballet as part of the QPAC International Series
- Inaugural Great Barrier Reef Masters Games
- British & Irish Lions Tour at Suncorp Stadium
- NRL Cairns Regional Fixture, Rabbitohs vs Titans
- Birdsville Races
- Noosa International Food and Wine Festival
- Gold Coast Airport Marathon
- Cairns Airport Adventure Festival
Major Queensland events in 2013 will be complemented by the extensive Regional Development Program which will assist in the delivery of 80 events in regional communities as well as six international business events attracting more than 4,000 delegates.
For more information on Queensland events