Australia’s Favourite Event allows every Australian to vote for their favourite public event.
Australia’s Favourite Event is an opportunity for Australians to get behind our most popular public events and support them in being recognised as one a true favourite.
Each year Australia produces many events from sporting events, ceremonies, cultural events to community events around which people plan their weekends. In this category, the Event Awards acknowledges that the ultimate judge of a great event is its attendees and returns the power to the people.
Nominations are now open. It’s free, quick and anyone can nominate online. Visit www.eventawards.com.au to nominate now.
In 2013, the top ten nominees were (ordered alphabetically):
- Blues on Broadbeach: The music festival magically transforms May into a mega-magnet for tourists and is one of the largest Blues festivals in the country.
- Gold Coast Airport Marathon: Over 23,000 people of all ages and abilities take part in events including a Marathon, a Half Marathon, a 10km Run, a 5km Challenge and Junior Dash.
- Mali in the City: Fifty fibreglass models of the famous elephant calf, Mali, painted by a variety of artists displayed across key locations on the Melbourne city streets as part of the celebrations for the Zoo’s 150th birthday.
- RSPCA Million Paws Walk: Australia’s premier pet event and the RSPCA’s major national fundraiser.
- South Australian Wooden Boat Festival: A cultural Festival, where people mix with a diverse fusion of wooden from kayaks to paddle steamers, sharing their skills, history and adventure, love of art, music and regional produce.
- Southern 80 Ski Race: The event attracts over 400 entries taking part in a race along 80km of the Murray River with over 120 bends at speeds in excess of 200km an hour with 2 skiers on long ropes behind the boat.
- Sprung Festival: A student run theatre and arts festival held on the grounds of Charles Sturt University Bathurst celebrating the creative works of Theatre/Media Students.
- Summernats Car Festival: 1500 of the toughest Australian elite street machines descend on Canberra to show off their love of the street machine to an enthusiastic crowd.
- Top Gear Festival Sydney: The inaugural Top Gear Festival was a roaring success with over 41,000 visitors in attendance to see the worlds of motorsport and Top Gear come together to create a weekend of unparalleled motoring mayhem.
- Vivid Sydney: Colouring the city with creativity and inspiration, Vivid highlights include immersive light installations and projections; performances from local and international musicians and the Vivid Ideas Exchange featuring public talks from leading global creative thinkers.
Summernats Car Festival took out the title.
Anyone can nominate any public event they attended between July 1 2013 and June 30 2014.
Public voting will open on Wednesday 1st October. Events should be nominated before this date to allow time to plan a promotional campaign and ensure maximum chance of winning.
The top ten finalists will be announced on Monday 20th October and voting continues.
People can vote as many times as they like.
The winner for Australia’s Favourite Event will be announced at the 2014 Australian Event Awards Industry Night of Nights, to be held at Doltone House, Darling Island Wharf on Tuesday 11th November.