The theme of this year’s MEA conference in Melbourne is Breaking Conventions.
I’m so looking forward to conventions being broken – and here are my top 10 things that could make the conference unconventional – and memorable.
- More female presenters than male (after all there are always more female delegates than male at a MEA conference)
- No theatre style seating for any of the sessions.
- No speaker support that in involves lists or graphs or PowerPoint themes – just images.
- No MC – let the presenters introduce themselves.
- No shell scheme in the expo area – let the exhibitors present their wares via something original.
- No alcohol at the social functions. Now that would be radical.
- An announcement that the next conference will not be held in a convention centre.
- No lanyards or name tags – just imagine delegates having a conversation by introducing themselves to each other.
- No use of the terms “State of the art” or “Thinking outside the square/box” or “Inspirational speaker”
- No crap phone photos of the event shared on social media unless tagged #takenonaniphone6 and #BrokenConvention