Enjoying warm tropical weather, friendly hospitality and a relaxed atmosphere, influential Australian event planners enjoyed discovering the tropical capital city of Darwin and experiencing the world class Darwin Convention Centre as part of the recent ‘Meet Darwin 2016’ familiarisation program.
‘Meet Darwin’ is an annual familiarisation program hosted by the Darwin Convention Centre and the Northern Territory Convention Bureau that showcases the unique and impressive strengths of Darwin as a leading Australasian business events destination to key decision makers. Darwin’s close proximity to Asia, its fast growing economy and innovative business environment, along with unique Top End experiences for delegates and first class hospitality provided by the Darwin Convention Centre are all featured throughout the four day program.
Representing a diverse array of industries including medical, education, technology, finance, agriculture, youth services, housing research and property sector, the national delegates were encouraged to discover, experience, learn and savour the delights of Darwin.
The action packed ‘Meet Darwin’ program included:
• A welcome reception at the Crocosaurus Cove with up close and personal encounters with Australian saltwater crocodiles and reptiles
• The sights, flavours and entertainment at the iconic Mindil Beach Sunset Markets
• An informative business session with industry leaders in the Northern Territory providing an overview of the Territory’s thriving business economy and Darwin’s strengths as a business events destination
• A networking session with suppliers from the tourism, retail and hospitality industry in Darwin that are able to support conference organisers
• Site inspections of popular hotel properties
• A high tea with Paspaley pearls, di CROCO luxury accessories and artwork from Mbantua Gallery
• An exclusive Indigenous themed fine dining experience at the Darwin Convention Centre featuring a Northern Territory specialty menu, with entertainment by an Indigenous didgeridoo player and an inspiring contemporary dance by the Gary Lang NT Dance Company
• A visit to CareFlight Darwin, a rapid response critical care air service provided to the ill and injured across the Top End of Australia
• Tourist activities including a Segway tour through the Darwin Botanic Gardens and a Historical Walking Tour
• An evening under the stars at the Darwin Symphony Orchestra Opera Gala on the lawns of the Darwin Waterfront
• A Darwin harbour cruise including a clap-stick workshop with an Indigenous representative from the Larrakia Nation
“As Darwin is a unique conferencing destination and a capital city that not everyone has previously visited, ‘Meet Darwin’ is an ideal way to showcase the diversity of delegate experiences available in the Top End of Australia as well as the capabilities of the world class Darwin Convention Centre to national event planners,” said Janet Hamilton, General Manager of the Darwin Convention Centre.
“Event planners are immersed in the tropical Darwin experience over four days and can see how their national and international delegates, accompanying partners and speakers could benefit from attending a major conference at the Darwin Convention Centre,” said Ms Hamilton.
As stated by first time visitor to Darwin and event planner, Anthony Smeaton from Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, “Darwin as a business events destination offers a unique experience for our delegates and our conference. Many of our delegates come to our conference every year, so we want to offer them a different experience each time. Before I came to Darwin, I wasn’t sure what kind of activities we could offer. But now that I’ve experienced them myself at Meet Darwin, I know this would be a really great and memorable experience for them.”